You know something must be wrong for this post to be picture-less. Week 37 has knocked me on my butt, but I can't blame it on pregnancy. I can probably blame it on one of many, many, many patients who come into my office every day coughing and sneezing and saying "I almost canceled because I'm feeling so sick". It was one of those lovely people who gave me one of the worst colds I have EVER had. I'll spare you the details, but just know that they are NOT pretty. It takes a lot to make me stay home from work; I've actually never taken a sick day before, but this week I took two and a half. I've been on the couch with my kleenex, my water bottle, and my schnauzer enjoying a hacking cough since Tuesday. And you can be happy that I spared you a picture of that!
So the name of the game has been hydration, napping, and praying that baby stays put until I have a bit more energy to go into labor. If the whole party started now, this pro-natural birth momma would be signing up for an epidural at the very first chance. Actually, I'd go straight for the c-section.
Looking on the bright side of this week for a moment:
1. We had a birth class at my yoga center on Sunday, which was so awesome. My husband gets 100 points for coming with me. The instructor brought us through a lot of the poses that we've been doing in prenatal yoga, but showed the husbands/partners how they could support us in the poses or apply counterpressure and massage while we were in them. We got instruction on some new poses as well, and it was great for hubs to see them so he can help me to remember some different things to try.
2. I finally had a conversation with one of my three offices and let them know that I won't be returning to work after the baby arrives. This is SUCH a huge weight off of my shoulders, and they were surprisingly really supportive of my decision. I'll write more about this decision later, but my plan is to work three days a week after baby. Finding a part-time work schedule has been a dream of mine forever.
3. Speaking of working three days a week, I think we found a nanny! I don't want to jinx this until it's finalized, but I'm really hopeful that the third time will be the charm here (we've had two wonderful nanny possibilities almost- and then not- work out for us).
4. In the self-esteem category, laying on the couch for three full days apparently does the trick in making ugly shrek-like cankles go away. I could stare for hours at my ankles- they are back! They'll probably disappear again once I go back to work next week, but I'm enjoying them while I can. Also, at my midwife appointment this morning I was down three pounds. I'm not sure if that's because of less swelling or the fabled late third trimester weight drop (my mom says it happened to her). Anyways, my total was up to 37 but is now back down to 34. Since we've hit 38 weeks and I'm actually starting to feel a little bit better, they started me on evening primrose oil capsules and red raspberry leaf tea.
5. You're not missing much with the fruit photo, and I'm happy to be skipping out on swiss chard. I mean, come on. Instead, enjoy this schnauzer. Baby O' is approximately one-quarter the size of this not-so miniature schnauzer.
Duncan says, "Thanks for the sweet new toy, Mom. Just so you know, I could destroy this monkey in under a minute."